Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

apples


photo courtesy of lovin' from the oven

One of my favorite things about fall is apples! Marilisa and I took a road trip up to Hillcrest Orchards in North Georgia with our significant others to do a little apple picking last weekend. Unfortunately we missed the actual "picking season," but we still had a great time eating all sorts of treats, buying about 10lbs of different types of apples and listening to some bluegrass in Taylor's jeep.


Apple strudel bars are one of my favorite things to make when I have a couple extra apples on hand. The last time I made them, I sent the treats in the mail to my boyfriend Blake from Austin and he called to tell me he "straight up ate the entire batch in about 3 minutes" and that I needed to make more and send them stat... So I guess they are pretty good :)


Here's the recipe (adapted from here):
SWEET PASTRY:
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. real butter, softened (no substitutions!)
  • 1 egg, beaten
APPLE FILLING:
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 4 c. (about 3 medium) sliced, peeled baking apples (I used macintosh)
GLAZE:
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • About 3 Tbsp. milk or coffee creamer (I love using flavored coffee creamer)
  • 1 tsp. almond or vanilla extract (which ever one suits you better)
  • 1 dash cinnamon
To prepare crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.

Spray a 9x9 baking dish
with non-stick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Preheat oven to 350 and set aside.
 

To prepare apple filling, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Toss with apples and spread apples out on prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes (mine took a little longer to cook in the middle). When finished, allow to cool completely.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Place glaze in a Ziploc bag and cut off a very small portion of one of the corners. Drizzle glaze over cooled pastry and allow to harden (you can place it in the freezer to hurry things along). Cut into bars and serve!



2 comments:

  1. Delicious recipe! We used Granny Smiths. My granddaughter, (very talented!)made them for a dinner party... Everyone loved them.

    ReplyDelete